Serial Display Daughter Board for 16x2 display with a high speed
The LCD2S-162 is a RoHS compliant Serial LCD Daughter board that can be connected to a standard 16x2 Character Display Module that supports 4 bit mode. All 16x2 Character Modules sold on our site support 4 bit mode, and nearly all commercially available 16x2 line character modules support it too. We have not found a single 16x2 LCD display from any manufacturer that does not support 4 bit mode yet! The LCD2S-162 has a high speed SPI/I2C serial bus. For convenience the I2C and SPI signals are available via a Micro Match type connector, and a standard 2.54mm, 2x5 row pin header. Most new Modtronix SBC boards have Micro Match connectors, and can be connected to the LCD2S-162. The MICROMATCH-6MW Micro Match connector can be used to create a cable to connect the LCD2S-162 and SBC boards together. Or, our 150mm or 300mm Micro Match cables can be use.
A 2-way DIP switch is used to configure the unit for SPI or I2C operation (3 different addresses). The SPI mode is very simple, and enables the user to control the display via a very simple software routine. For more complex configurations, and multiple displays, the I2C bus can be used. The contrast and backlight are software controlled, and can be set to 254 levels.
A keypad with up to 16 buttons (4 rows by 4 columns) can be added to the display via a standard 10 pin, 2.54mm header. Our 12 button or 16 button keypads can be used, and can be connected to the LCD2S-162 via the CAB16RIB150 ribbon cable. When using the I2C serial bus, an interrupt line will be activated when a key is pressed, informing the user that there is key data to be read. Alternatively the LCD2S-162 can be polled to see if it has any pending keypad data.
The displays has 5 user configurable, general purpose inputs/outputs. Two of them can deliver up to 1000mA each, and have protection circuitry for driving relays.
- Can be controlled via a high speed SPI or I2C bus. Both busses can operate at speeds close to 1Mbits/sec!
- Large number of LCD commands for moving cursor, moving display and more
- Up to 8 custom characters can be defined, a utility for creating custom characters
- Built in commands for drawing Bar Graphs
- LCD Backlighting controlled via software, has 254 brightness levels
- LCD Contrast controlled via software, has 254 contrast levels
- User configurable start up screen
- 80 Byte buffer for messages received via serial interface
- Two high current, open collector outputs with output currents up to 1000mA each, and relay protection circuitry
- 3 general purpose input/output pins
- Keypad encoder for a keypad up to 16 keys (4 rows by 4 columns)
- Keypad has a configurable button repeat delay and repeat rate
- Can be configured to sound a buzzer (connected to OUT2) each time a button is pressed
- 6 Pin Micro Match connector with I2C, SPI and power signals
- Standard 10 Pin (1x10), 2.54mm connector for connecting a keypad of up to 4 rows by 4 columns
- Standard 10 Pin (5x2), 2.54mm connector with user outputs, I2C, SPI and power signals
- DIP switch for setting serial mode and I2C address
- Low current consumption - without LCD backlight is about 4mA
- High quality machine assembly, with brand name, quality components:
- All electrolytic capacitors used are extra long life Panasonic brand, which is 5 times more than standard!
- PCB is Gold plated for best contact and no corrosion
- All pin headers are gold plated for best possible contact
- Lead free, RoHS compliant assembly